Saturday, September 1, 2012

Delivery

Since these were my first kids, I read all sorts of books on pregnancy and twins and all. I found them helpful to an extent. I am here to tell you what I didn't expect so that if you are in the same situation, you will. We decided to do a C-Section because of Baby B. They were both head down and ready to go, but for his safety we went ahead with the plan our doctor suggested. We were so nervous before we went in. I was physically shaking. It is a little scary knowing that your life is about to change as soon as you walk in there. Well, one thing twin books had mentioned that it is a good idea to hold both babies as soon as you can. Then hold on and give them all your attention and then the other. We when your in a c-section, you don't really get the chance to hold them. This the books did mention.. however, what I found out with great disappointment, is that when your babies have to go straight to the NICU, you aren't allowed to go see them right away. And when I mean right away, I mean I wasn't allowed to go see them until my drugs wore off. THAT TOOK 5 HOURS!!! I couldn't believe that my husband got to see them and hold their hands. Yes, he was wonderful and came back and forth and brought me cell phone pictures and updates.. but seriously I wasn't able to see them for 5 hours. What if something had happened in 5 hours. What if... .It killed me. When I was able to move my legs and toes I asked the nurse if I could go see them. She replied, "Not quite yet." I got this answer all day and was starting to get really pissed off and said, "Well I can move my legs and toes now, so the drugs have worn off." She half replied, "Fine, if you can walk to the bathroom and back by yourself, I will let you go." You bet your bottom I got my butt out of that bed and hobbled myself to the bathroom and back. Yes, I was in a ton of pain but that wasn't going to stop me.

When I was finally able to go see the boys, I felt a overwhelming internal battle (which hasn't stopped) of who to see first. Which baby has to wait? I went to see the first born first, thinking that if it were a vaginal delivery I would have seen him first anyway. We did all the kangaroo care and everything with them and were so excited they came home after a terrible month in the NICU. 

No comments:

Post a Comment